The history of Botosani starts from the times of yore, being mentioned for the first time in documents in 1439 (The Chronicle of Moldavia by Grigore Ureche). However, the beginning of town living in Botosani is dated before the documentary mention.
The archaeological discoveries made on our territory (at Cucuteni), demonstrate that in this region, human settlements have been built since Paleolithic. Specific to Cucuteni culture are the ceramic pots, painted in 2-3 colors in a high artistic level.
A lot of settlements from the county have a documentary mention during the XIVth and XVIth centuries. Thus, Dorohoi town is mentioned in 1407 and Botosani in 1439.
As it had an early development Botosani wasn`t a fortress, it was an open little town, without walls, raised in the crossways of continental routes what established a flourishing trade.
It seems that, starting with the XVth century the development of the trade in Botosani brings important incomes and the first seal of the town was a peacock with a dispersed tail, and probably was a symbol for the first Lady`s jewels, which have been bought with money from the incomes of the town.
The outstanding voivodes of Moldavia (Stefan cel Mare and Petru Rares) gave prominence to Botosani. There are some of their foundations, in our county, nowadays: Saint Nicolae Church from Dorohoi (1495) and Saint Nicolae from Popauti (1496) built by Stefan cel Mare that are now historical monuments. There are also some other historical monuments such as Lady Elena`s foundations: Saint Gheorghe Church (1551) and Uspenia Church (1552).
Monuments less represent the events of the modern history. We can mention the First World War Heroes monument, masterpiece of the architect M. Miclescu, set up in 1928 and also the big triptych achieved by the sculptor Gavril Costache and set up in the memory of the peasant revolt from 1907.